Why does a marketplace for designs printed on metal plates pay so much attention to technology? What are we doing to make it easier for our customers to find and order designs of their choice that will then be efficiently delivered to their homes or offices? These were some of the questions the guys from Just Join IT asked. Wojtek Wiktorowicz, Head of Software Engineering, and Michał Czepczyński, Backend Team Lead take us behind the scenes of working on IT projects at Displate. Enjoy the read!
A product written in the DNA
– Our job is to develop vision and strategy. To make sure that technology can keep up with the galloping business. At the same time, we want our users to focus on the product itself and not have to worry about the intricate processes and technologies underlying the ordering process. To put it in simpler terms: You just have to find a poster that interests you and be able to order it easily.
– explains Wojtek Wiktorowicz.
Backstage photo in our office :)
Bigger scale, bigger needs
– We respond to the challenges that come with scaling up. Displate started as a simple catalog, but as the number of available designs grew, we had to give the users easy access. So we created our own search engine, as well as a recommendation system that makes it easier to choose.
– says Michał Czepczyński.
One of the rooms in our Warsaw office. Nice vibe, huh?
The way to express yourself
– I came across Displate by accident, before I joined the company. I was looking for something to decorate my apartment. During my school years, I played a lot of games, gaming was my passion, as were comic books, and Marvel and DC characters. So I covered one of my walls with my favorite characters.
– recalls Wojtek Wiktorowicz.